QuickBooks Unable to Backup Company File | How to Backup?
QuickBooks is online accounting software for small and medium business users to manage GST complaint invoicing, business payments, pay bills, and payroll functions. Sometimes QuickBooks Unable to Backup Company File when there is a problem with the storage device or due to a corrupt company file. However, if we ignore this serious problem, we can get into much trouble because our important data or information can be lost. Thus, if you encounter such an error in QuickBooks, you must take instant action towards this issue. You may take QuickBooks Help from experts in order to efficiently annihilate it. Moreover, we have come up with a blog post that will guide you on how to fix the error. So, read it out from top-to-toe. When you can’t Backup Company File even though trying to do so many times, you can see the following error messages during backup:
- QuickBooks is Unable to Backup Company File
- Backup failed
Errors Associated with Backup Failed
Here is a list of some errors that you may come across due to backup failure. The errors are as follows-
- QuickBooks error 3371
- 6000 series error
- QuickBooks error 6190 816
- Unrecoverable error
- QB error 6189-82
- Error code C=343
- Error 6073-99001
- H series errors like H101, H202, H303, H505
Reasons for QuickBooks Unable to Backup Company File
The main reason behind the occurrence of the Unable to Backup QuickBooks Company File error is damaged or incorrect .ND file or corrupt .QBW file. Some more causes are also there for such failure. Check out the below points
- When there is not enough space in the storage device to store the backup.
- When the Company Backup File saves on an external disk.
- If the size of the company file exceeds 3 GB, then also Unable to Backup Company File.
- In case, any other program is running in the background.
- When the file name saves with .ADR extension.
- The name of the file size exceeds the limitation of 65 characters.
- Due to the wrong backup path in QuickBooks settings.
Fix QuickBooks Unable to Backup Company File Issue
We have various potential solutions through which you can easily get rid of the QuickBooks Unable to Backup Company File issue. Therefore, feast your eyes on the below guidelines and follow them one by one:
Solution 1: Rename the Company File and Delete Special Character from the Name
To perform this, you have to go through the following steps:
- First and foremost, give a right-click on the file name and then select the “Rename” tab.
- Now, enter a new file name and ensure to avoid entering special characters in the company file name.
- In the end, hit the “Enter” key, and hence you are good to go with the file backup process.
Solution 2: Repair the Company File
Due to some technical glitches, the company file might get affected. Thus, use the QuickBooks file doctor tool in order to cope-up any damaged data. Once the file gets repaired, it will start backing up without any obstacles.
Solution 3: Verify the Backup Directory
QuickBooks Unable to Backup Company File occurs due to faulty backup path. That’s why it is necessary to verify the backup directory as it may give you a clear picture of the error. Here are the steps you need to go through:
- First, go to the “Preferences” section in QuickBooks.
- Now check the backup directory where you want to save your backup files.
- Check if the path is valid to create the backup files in the program.
- Once it is confirmed, you can backup your QuickBooks Company File.
Solution 4: Check the Backup File Size
Remember one thing that the file should not be less than 6 MB. Now, in order to verify the file size, follow the instructions such as:
- First, give a right-click on the “File” menu.
- Next, click on the “Properties” option to check the file.
- If the file size is less than 6 MB, then the file is not a true backup file. It is necessary to create a new backup.
Solution 5: Rename (.ND) Network Data File
If the network data file is corrupted, then also you can’t back up your QuickBooks company file. Therefore, in that situation, you just have to rename the file using the following directions:
- Close QuickBooks application first and then navigate to the “Network Data File” from Windows File Manager
- There you will see the corresponding network data file of the QuickBooks company file having .ND extension filename
- Right-click on that file and choose the “Rename” option from the drop-down list
- Add “.OLD” at the end of the file name (i.e., .ND.OLD)
Now, you can backup your file to keep it secure against data loss threats. But, if still the same error is persisting, continue with the next solution.
Solution 6: Backup the Company File to an External Drive or Flash Drive
Save the backup of your company file to a local hard-drive partition on your computer system and then copy the backup to an external drive. The steps included for this are:
- First, go to the “File” menu and then select “Save Copy or Backup”
- Choose the backup copy and then click “Next”
- Then, select the “Local Backup” option and press the “Enter” key
- When prompted “where you want to save the backup copy”, select the option “Save it now” and then click “Next”
- In the next step, you are required to browse to a location on the local drive and then click the “Save” button
- Then, minimize the QuickBooks Desktop Window
- Locate the backup file on the local drive
- Right-click on the “File” and then choose “Copy”
- Now, open the Windows Explorer window
- Double-click on the drive letter that corresponds to the external drive or flash driver in order to open it
- In the end, right-click on the empty space inside the window and then tap “Paste”. Doing this will create a copy of your QuickBooks company file on an external disk
Basic Points To Keep In Mind
- First of all, ensure that you have sufficient storage space available on the external storage device. However, to check the storage space, click on Properties. This will display the storage space present on the device.
- Also, make sure that the QuickBooks company file is stored in the original file folder. So, that you can easily take the backup. Although if it is stored anywhere else, then firstly move the file to the original location and then take the backup.
- Before taking the backup, check that you have turned off the anti-virus.
Acquire One-Stop QuickBooks Customer Support for Help
Don’t get disappointed if you have implemented all these above-mentioned solutions to eradicate QuickBooks Unable to Backup Company File but still confronting the same. We have a professional team for instant QuickBooks Customer Support. So, dial on helpline number to make direct connection with top-most techies. They do not leave any stone unturned in delivering the best solution at the doorstep.