Use QuickBooks File Doctor and Fix Company File Errors
What Is QuickBooks File Doctor?
The QuickBooks File Doctor is a great tool that Intuit released in 2012. It is developed to retrieve damaged company files and resolve a myriad of network issues. QB File Doctor is best known for fixing 6000 series errors and those that arise when users run QB in a multiuser mode. You can download the tool externally if operating on an older version of QuickBooks. Otherwise, you will find this utility in the application.
After you carry out QuickBooks File Doctor download, you just need to run it to fix a specific problem you are facing. Then review the results you receive from using it and follow the instructions to correct the problem. Moreover, the test results will have detailed sections describing the solution and list resources to help you resolve errors effectively.
Note that Mac users cannot access QuickBooks File Doctor. It is accessible only for QuickBooks Desktops for Windows version.
Errors You Can Resolve with QuickBooks File Doctor?
You can fix numerous errors with the file doctor tool. Below is an exhaustive list of the various problems this tool effectively treats.
- QuickBooks not responding
- QuickBooks error code 6000 301
- All H series errors
- QuickBooks error code 6150
- QuickBooks error code 6189
- Various network problems
- QuickBooks is unable to connect.
- QuickBooks cannot open the company file.
- QuickBooks error code 6000 335
- Empty customers, employees, and vendors list.
- QuickBooks error 6130
- QuickBooks error code H202
- QuickBooks error code 6123
- QuickBooks error code H505
- QuickBooks error code 6073
- Error code – 6000-82
- Other errors related to 6000 600 series
- QuickBooks error code – 6000-305
- Multiuser mode errors
- QuickBooks error code 6190, 816
- QuickBooks error code 6210, 0
Points to Note Before You Download QuickBooks File Doctor and After It
As you plan to work with the file doctor tool, there are various things you should keep in your mind. Following are:
- To begin, ensure that you are employing only one version of the tool in your system. If there is any other version on your system, you’ll have to delete it and then use the version you will download.
- The built-in tool is there with QB versions that came after 2015. If you are still using a version earlier this year, then, use an external file.
- If you see any problems, the prompt for file repair will show on your screen automatically. You just have to tap the ‘Start’ option for the scan to begin.
- The internal QB File Doctor tool can be employed to fix the -6000 errors that hinder you from opening the company file. However, the use case for this internal tool is a bit more specific. You must use it only when the external file doctor utility isn’t able to fix the damage.
- Users of Windows 10 may sometimes face issues in installing QB File Doctor. It is essential for you to enable Microsoft .Net 3.5 in order to install the file doctor and start using it. If you don’t find the .Net Framework available on your system, you must use the File Doctor with the help of QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- QuickBooks File Doctor utility built-in version is compatible with Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, and Server 2003-2012.
- File must not cross the size limit of 2GB. A good internet connection when you use the tool. If there’s a poor or no net connection, you won’t be able to use the tool.
We recommend you employ the external QuickBooks Doctor tool rather than the internal one. It’s because the external tool is updated.
How to Fix Issues with QuickBooks File Doctor
The file doctor tool can efficiently fix most glitches within QuickBooks. However, at times, the tool can stop working. When this happens, you’ll see a ‘File Doctor is not working’ error message on the screen.
There are many reasons behind this error. They include the following.
- You’ve tried to restore files, but the process did not turn out to be successful.
- You are attempting to access the incorporated files
- The error can also arise when you are trying to convert the earlier version of the company files on a network.
- Updating the files is another instance when you can see this error.
- When the company files are misplaced, corrupt, or damaged, the QuickBooks File Doctor will not work.
- The utility can also malfunction if you do not properly carry out the installation process.
Troubleshoot QuickBooks File Doctor Issues
There are various methods to fix problems with the file doctor utility. You can find detailed instructions for these fixes with the following.
1. Run QB File Doctor manually.
Most often, the issue is a result of a glitch in the launch command receiving end. To fix it, you must open the utility manually.
- Open the application. Wait for a while till you see ‘No Company Open’ flashing on the screen.
- Head over to ‘Files’ followed by ‘Utilities’ and ‘Repair File and Network problems.’
- Now tap ‘OK’ on the dialog box that shows up.
- The QuickBooks Doctor Tool will restart the application with admin privileges.
- On the dialog box, tap ‘Yes.’
- Now hit the wrench icon to launch the File Doctor Tool.
- Tap ‘Continue.’
- Now input your password to sign into the file. The File Doctor Tool will commence repairing it.
- Choose the option ‘File Diagnosis Only.’ It is present in the ‘Advanced Settings’ options.
- After that, hit ‘Next.’
- The system will prompt you to launch your file. After opening it, inspect for issues or repairs that are needed.
2. Retrieve the backup of the damaged QBW file.
The file doctor utility, when opened automatically fails and shows the ‘File Doctor is not working’ error. You can fix it by retrieving the backup of the damaged QBW file.
- Always have a backup for the damaged files. It will help you in replacing them with the saved ones.
- Launch QuickBooks and tap the ‘File’ option.
- Now, tap ‘Open or Restore Company.’
- After that, tap the ‘Click open or restore a backup copy’ option.
- Then, continue further by tapping the ‘Next’ button.
- Choose the ‘Local backup’ option followed by the ‘Next’ button.
- You will see a drop-down menu appearing. Here, you must browse and choose the location of the backup file.
- Ensure to choose a file with the .QBB extension.
- Now, continue further by tapping ‘Open.’
- Lastly, click ‘Next.’
- You will see a ‘Save in drop-down’ menu appearing.
- From here, choose the location for retrieving the file.
- Type in the file name in the Name field.
- A ‘Save as’ field will appear with the *.QBW file.
- Lastly, hit the ‘Save’ button. It will finish the whole restoration process.
3. Switch off the hosting mode and modify the firewall level.
QB File Doctor won’t run properly if the hosting mode of your system is turned on. So, turn it off. After that, configure the antivirus software in your system and allow remote connections from it. If the security software in your system is McAfee antivirus, adhere to these steps.
- Firstly, launch the McAfee software.
- After that, tap ‘Web & Email Protection.’
- Head over to the firewall and hit ‘Ports and System Services.’
- Next, tap the ‘Add’ button.
- Now, input ‘eMule’ below ‘Services Name.’
- Further, input the TCP information of your QB application in the section of ‘Local TCP/IP ports.’
- Below the ‘Local UDP Port’ input the TCP information for your QB app.
- Now, select ‘All PCs’ below the tab of ‘Open ports to.’
- After doing so, tap ‘Save.’
- Lastly, restart your PC.
4. Utilize the auto data recovery functionality
The Auto Data Recovery or the ADR feature auto-examines the QuickBooks file after a few hours of its creation. Furthermore a backup is automatically stored in the folder of Auto Data Recovery for those files which are without any issue. The backup remains for 12 to 24 hours as long as you keep QB open.
You can also utilize this option to recover and retrieve files to how they worked fine.
The Steps to Resolve Company File Issues
The error message ‘Company file in use QuickBooks’ is an outcome of the wrong hosting setup. Many people find that they are unable to open the company file. In fact, errors like error 6150, -6000 305, -6147, or -6130 are all company file issues. You may also encounter missing customer, employee, or vendor lists.
But its easy to resolve company file and network issues using the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool. Here are the steps to use and fix different company file issues.
- The first step is to close QuickBooks and download version 126.96.36.199 of the QB Tool Hub.
- After you download it, save your file in the Downloads folder or the desktop.
- Now, open this downloaded file. It will be in the format ‘QuickBooksToolHub.exe.’
- Adhere to the instructions you see on your screen to install the Tool Hub. You must also agree to its terms and conditions.
- After the installation comes to an end, double-tap the tool hub icon on the desktop to launch the application.
Use Quick Fix My Program
Now after installing the QuickBooks Tool Hub we are going to use the Quick Fix My Program with the following means:
- Now go to tool hub and choose ‘Company File Issues.’
- Choose ‘Quick Fix My File.’
- Select ‘OK’ upon its completion. Then, open QuickBooks.
- You will likely not get the error message and will be able to open your company file. But if you can’t do that, move on to the step below.
- Go to the tool hub and choose the ‘Company File Issues’ tab.
- Choose ‘Run QuickBooks File Doctor.’ The process will take around 30 to 60 seconds. Only then the utility will open.
- Now, in the QuickBooks File Doctor, choose your company file.
- If you cannot see your file, choose ‘Browse and Search.’
- Now, choose the ‘Check your file’ option.
- After that, tap ‘Continue.’
- Type in the admin password of QuickBooks and choose ‘Next.’
- The time taken to scan largely depends on your file size. Generally, it takes up to five minutes.
- When it finishes, launch QuickBooks along with your company file.
- Remember that the scan may show unsuccessful even if it has been able to resolve the problem.
- After your company file issue resolves, ensure to back it up. It would be great if you also inspected for software updates.
- To do so, choose ‘Help’ in QuickBooks Desktop followed by ‘Update QuickBooks Desktop.’ it’s a good idea to keep running the updates regularly.
How to Use QuickBooks File Doctor via QuickBooks Tool Hub
It is easy to run the File Doctor using the QB Tool Hub application. Exit QuickBooks Desktop and use these directions.
- Download the latest QuickBooks Tool Hub version.
- Navigate to the downloads folder in your system.
- Tap the installer file of QuickBooks Tool Hub. It is in the .exe format.
- After that, go through the license conditions and agree to them.
- You will find a series of steps on your screen. Adhere to them carefully and finish the installation.
- After the installation process ends, head over to the QB Desktop screen and locate the icon of QB Tool Hub.
- Double-tap it.
- When the Tool Hub runs on your system, find the ‘Company File Issues’ tab.
- Now click the option, ‘Run QuickBooks File Doctor.’
- Choose your company file and tap the option that’s for checking the file.
- Tap ‘Continue’ and input the admin password of your company file.
- Finally, click ‘Next’ and wait for the File Doctor Tool to resolve the damage.
The Advantages of QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
There are many benefits of using the QB File Doctor Tool. Keep reading to find out how wonderful of a utility it is.
- The QB File Doctor effortlessly fixes errors like 6000 305, 6189, 6150, and the like.
- You can also resolve a myriad of H series errors using the tool.
- QB File Doctor will also help you if you want to launch a company file in your system, but it has been saved on a different PC.
- It allows you to make a backup of your precious data.
- You can resolve a plethora of network and connectivity setup problems.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What leads to corruption of data in QuickBooks?
Data corruption implies that your QB cannot read the company file properly. Some of the major factors resulting in corrupt data include an issue with the hardware, the large size of the QB data file, and LVL errors in the QB log file. Discrepancies in payments are also another cause.
2. How do I identify QuickBooks file corruption?
You can identify data corruption quite easily. After completing the Verify Data and Rebuild Data steps, you must go through the logs that QB made for the data verification you did. These logs will signal items that are triggering issues. Then you can delete and replace the damaged items.
3. How to recover data through Auto Data Recovery?
Auto Data Recovery is an invaluable feature if the data of your company file gets permanently lost. Follow these points to retrieve lost data through this feature.
- Firstly, open the folder containing the company file.
- Secondly, go to ‘Organize’ followed by ‘Folder’ and then ‘Search Options.’
- Tap the ‘View’ tab.
- Choose ‘Show hidden files’ below ‘Hidden files and folder.’
- Open the folder of QB Auto Data Recovery. You will find two files, .qbw.adr and .qbw.adr.old.
- Copy the ADR file to another folder.
- Right-tap on the file and select ‘Rename.’
- Remove the .adr extension and tap ‘Enter.’
- Now verify the file.
4. How to fix QuickBooks File Doctor crashing?
If QB File Doctor crashes or stops working, then you can launch it manually. You can also use the Auto Data Recovery tool and configure the antivirus software. The steps for all these measures are described in detail in this article.
The QuickBooks File Doctor helps you recover corrupt company files and resolve many network problems. Moreover, it’s a user-friendly software that not only allows you to get rid of error code – 6000 – 301 and H Series errors but also malware attacks on your hard drive. Intuit has developed it in a manner it can repair bugs that prevent the accounting software from working smoothly. Hopefully, this article must have provided you with the knowledge you need to use the tool to your advantage. If you still face any issues or find your QuickBooks file not opening after using the utility, contact a good QuickBooks technical support service.