Different versions of the renowned accounting software QuickBooks helps businesses of all sizes take care of their bookkeeping tasks. When you have a suitable QuickBooks product of a recent version, you’ll surely benefit from its various features. But if you still don’t have this accounting software and decide to switch over to it, you’ll get the most updated version of QB. Many users desire to know how to update QuickBooks to its latest version. You can download the updates directly from the internet and benefit from the enhanced performance of the product. In this article, you’ll find the exact process of updating this accounting software.
Why Should You Update QuickBooks to Its Current Release?
You gain many benefits when you update QuickBooks to its most recent release. Essentially, updating QB means taking steps to enhance it with new functionalities. These new features prove to be useful for your business in processing the accounts of the company and carrying out other financial activities. Given below are the different reasons you should update the QuickBooks Desktop utility.
- Updating QuickBooks will help you resolve some typical security glitches and loops in this application.
- You will find that the performance of QuickBooks has dramatically increased after it has been updated to the latest version.
- QuickBooks update will also impart you a great error-free user experience.
- This software has many advanced features, like invoices, real-time, and tracking status, that you can unlock by updating it.
Now that you know all the reasons you should update this accounting software, it makes sense to take steps to update it. However, it’s also crucial for you to know whether your QuickBooks is already updated or not prior to updating it. You can find this out by reading the next section.
How to Know If QuickBooks Desktop Application is Updated or Not?
There are numerous ways to update the QB Desktop utility. Here’s how you can find out if your software is already updated to the latest version or not.
- Launch QuickBooks and hit the F2 key or Ctrl + 1. It will allow you to access the window of ‘Product Information.’
- Now, see the version and the current release of the QB patch from the ‘Product Information Wizard.’
After you see this update, you can easily find whether or not you are using the latest version of QuickBooks. If you notice that you are using the old version, follow the methods below to update it.
How to Update QuickBooks Using Different Methods
There are various methods for you to get QuickBooks updates. But before doing so, check that your internet connection is strong. The different options to update the software include the following.
- Automatic update
- On-demand update
- Release download
- Manual update
After you download the update, the software will begin installing the needed files to a suitable location on your PC. You will also get an alert to install the update whenever you start your software again. Here are the instructions for different methods that you should follow.
Automatic update method
In this method of installing QuickBooks updates, the software determines the new updates from the Intuit server. They then get downloaded on an automatic basis when you aren’t working. It occurs because of a default setting in the QuickBooks software. This setting allows QuickBooks to download updates automatically from the Intuit server. To enable the automatic update option, follow these points.
- Open QB and navigate to the ‘Help‘ menu.
- Once there, tap ‘Update QuickBooks.’ Wait for some time till the window of update QuickBooks open.
- Tap the ‘Options’ tab.
- Next select ‘Yes‘ to enable the automatic update method. On the other hand, if you don’t want to update QuickBooks automatically choose ‘No.’ It will disable this setting.
- Tap ‘Save‘ and finally ‘Close.’
On-demand update method
Through this method, the user can download QB updates to their system instantly from the server of Intuit. Moreover, with this method, it’s not necessary for the user to let their QB software remain open while the process of downloading the updates is in progress. You can implement this method at any time you want. It will allow you to download the updates immediately. Ensure that you check for QB updates at least once per month. It will enable you to remain updated with the available upgrades.
Follow these steps to know how to update QuickBooks through the on-demand method.
- Launch QuickBooks and head over to the ‘Help‘ menu.
- Here, tap ‘Update QuickBooks.’
- Tap the tab of ‘Update Now.’
- Choose the updates you desire to download. Then, tap ‘Get Updates.’ To learn more about the updates, go to the ‘Updates‘ column.
- Click on the link of ‘Maintenance Releases.’ You’ll see another page opening up. It will have the details of the changes or improvements in your update. Exit the QuickBooks software and start it again. A window will emerge and ask whether you desire to install the update right now or later. When you view this message, you can tap on ‘Install Now‘ or ‘Yes‘ for installing the update right now.
- Start your system again after the process of installation completes.
Note that it’s essential to reinstall all relevant updates from the initial to the current release date. If you ignore it and reinstall QuickBooks, it’s possible that you’ll find problems in launching your company file. There’s also a likelihood of your company file getting damaged or not opening at all.
Some people have issues with the update functionality. Sometimes, they also don’t want to install updates through this functionality. If you are among them, it’s best to download and install the current updates. It’s important to utilize the update feature to get the new updates. If you use multiple copies of the software, you must update all of them. Otherwise, you may come across problems while opening your company file. The file may also get damaged and not open.
Given below is the process that those users should follow whose company needs them to use QuickBooks Premier or Pro in multi-user mode. They should install updates on all the computers. For it, connect all of them to the internet and then install the updates. Alternatively, you can download the updates on a single system on the network and start sharing them. The steps to share the updates are as follows.
- Launch the shared QB company file.
- Navigate to the ‘Help‘ menu and tap ‘Update QuickBooks.’
- Now choose ‘Options.’
- Tap ‘Yes‘ for the option of Share Download.
- Lastly, click ‘Save.’
These steps will enable you to share the updates to all the computers. Remember that the updates get downloaded to your company file location by default. It happens after you enable the ‘Share‘ option. If you haven’t enabled this option, you can discover the Quick Updates via the directory in which your copy of the software is installed.
Steps to Update QuickBooks Desktop
To update QuickBooks 2018 to 2022, follow the steps below.
- Tap on the latest version of your QuickBooks Desktop.
- Launch the ‘File‘ menu and select ‘Restore the company.’
- Tap’ Company file‘ followed by ‘Next.’
- Tap ‘Data file‘ and launch it.
- If you find the window of ‘Move Company File‘ popping up, read what is written in the ‘Update company file for the new version.’ Check the box to indicate that you agree with it and tap ‘Update Now.’
- Adhere to the instructions and make a backup of the files.
- After the company file is updated, launch the new QuickBooks version. Choose ‘Yes‘ when you get the prompt ‘Do you want to continue.’
You can also update this accounting software manually. To know how to update QuickBooks in this manner, follow the steps below.
- The first step is to exit your company file. Close the QB desktop.
- Right-tap on the icon of QuickBooks Desktop which you can see on your screen.
- Tap ‘Run as Administrator.’
- When you are on the screen of ‘No Company Open‘ go to the ‘Help‘ menu. Here, select ‘Update the QuickBooks.’
- Navigate to the ‘Option‘ tab and select the option of ‘Mark all.’
- Choose the option of ‘Save.’
- Navigate to the ‘Update Now’ tab and mark the ‘Reset Update‘ box.
- Next, select the ‘Get Update‘ button.
- When you see the message ‘Update Complete,’ exit the QB software.
- Open your QuickBooks desktop again if you find a message to ‘Install Update‘ on your system’s screen.
- Tap on the ‘Yes‘ option.
- When the process of installation completes, start your system again.
If you possess an active payroll subscription, download the current payroll tax table to process payroll in QB desktop.
You may also like: Resolve QuickBooks won’t Open Issue with Simple Tricks
Now, you know everything about how to update QuickBooks properly. You can follow any of the methods at your convenience and get new features in your software. You can also check whether or not you are already using an updated version of this program. If you face any problems in executing the methods explained, connect with a professional QuickBooks technical support service.