How to Delete Duplicate Transactions in Quickbooks?
Troubled with QuickBooks duplicate entries? Learn how to find and delete duplicate transactions following approaches in QuickBooks!
QuickBooks has been one of the most preferred accounting software in recent times. Whether it is a small company or a medium business, it is assumed as the most reliable and easily accessible software.
However, often, knowingly or unknowingly, a duplicate entry is created in QuickBooks. As a result, it becomes tragic to delete duplicate transactions in QuickBooks. But, if you have a simplified guide that tells you everything step-by-step, it becomes quick and easy.
Looking for such a guide? We got it and thus, bring you this detailed guide. It will help you find duplicate transactions on QuickBooks accounts. In addition to that, we suggest multiple approaches to eliminate duplicate transactions.
Let’s dive in!
What Causes Duplication Transactions in Quickbooks?
Similar to QuickBooks errors, a duplicate entry in QuickBooks may also occur due to some seasons. Sometimes it occurs at the point of sale, sometimes while importing the data. Let’s understand the possible causes of occurring duplicate transactions in QuickBooks.
- At the point of sale: Often, when some details are missing, duplicate entries are in QuickBook’s point of sale.
- Imported data duplication: Sometimes, another copy of transaction(s) is created while importing the data.
- Quickbooks Rebuild data utility: it can also create duplicate transactions while trying to recover the unrecoverable transactions.
- You might have created the duplicate entry (s) double-time manually added.
How to Find Quickbooks Duplicate Transactions?
There is no one specific method to identify QuickBooks duplicate transactions. It is usually visible on accounts only. But, not necessarily you get it in a blink of an eye.
Don’t worry! Using filter and sorting techniques, you can still spot duplicate entries. Once you spot those specific entries, you can move forward with solutions.
Following are the steps to find duplicate transactions:
- Open your bank account and click on the gear icon.
- Then, select the chart of accounts tab.
- Moving forward, select the view register tab.
- From the bank register, select the filter menu to find duplicate entries.
- While applying the filter, select a range (a month or a quarter).
- Also, tap on the payment or deposit column and sort the list by their amounts.
- You can also sub sort date-wise.
- From the filtered and sorted list, find the duplicate QuickBooks transactions.
Different Ways to Delete Duplicate Transaction Quickbooks
Now that you have fingered the duplicate entries, you can work on deleting them all. You can follow the batch approach or register mode to delete duplicate transactions in QuickBooks.
Delete Duplicate Transactions In Register Mode
The first method to delete QuickBooks duplicate transactions is via register mode. You can find the register at the top of the window in register mode. At the same time, transactions are placed at the bottom. Hence, you need to delete the entire statement to delete the transactions that don’t match the transactions.
- Launch QuickBooks online and open a banking menu.
- Then, select the bank feeds.
- Now, select the bank feeds center.
- Now, find and select the statement from the items received.
- Then, select the view option to match the transactions.
- Select done and match the transactions.
- If you match the transaction and are still not done, click yes to continue.
- You will be back at the online banking center.
- Then, spot and choose the same statement from the items received from the financial institution’s sections.
- Select the delete option.
Once you have deleted QuickBooks duplicate transactions, it will prevent them from showing up again, especially when downloading the statement. But, if the problem persists, there are other solutions that you can follow.
Delete Duplicate Transactions In Side-By-Side Mode
You can find the transaction on the left side in the side-by-side mode. Hence, the following steps are:
- Click on the banking menu.
- Next, select Bank Feeds and go to the Bank Feed Center.
- Then, select the Item reviewed section.
- Now, select the account you want to delete duplicate transactions from.
- Select all the transactions you want to delete.
- Then, tap on the option Delete Selected to remove all the selected transactions.
- Then, select the Yes button to confirm the deletion.
Following the steps, you can delete duplicate transactions. Now, check the accounts and if you still get duplicate transactions, follow the next solution.
Did You Encounter The Duplicate Transaction Again?
Get across the review tab and check if QuickBooks duplicate transactions are still visible. Yes, then follow the steps mentioned here:
- Select banking on the left side in Quickbooks online.
- Now, select the Review tab.
- Next, click on Duplicate transactions.
- Click on the batch actions.
- Now, tap on the option Excludes selected.
- From the Excluded tab, select the duplicate boxes.
- Lastly, select the batch actions and select the Delete button.
Delete Duplicate Transactions/Personal Expenses From Bank Feed
Another case is where the clones of transactions are from your arsenal or business expense. Hence, if you want to keep your personal expenses separate from business finance, you need to exclude them.
Note: The following steps can also be applied when Duplicate Transactions are Matched/Accepted in Qb Online.
Follow the steps below:
- Open QuickBooks.
- From the left menu, select the option transactions.
- Now, checkmark the transactions you want to exclude.
- After that, navigate to the batch actions dropdown.
- Select exclude.
Points to note:
- If you want to see excluded transactions, select the exclude tab.
- Further, suppose you are looking for not tracked or reported transactions as part of business finance. In that case, those transactions will not be visible in any associated account register or record.
Deleted Wrong Transaction? Here Is How To Get It Back!
If you have excluded any transactions mistakenly or accidentally, you can include them following the steps below:
- From the left menu of QuickBooks, select transactions.
- Navigate to the excluded tab.
- Now, checkmark the transaction you want to include.
- Then, go to the batch actions dropdown and, lastly, select undo.
Remember these points!
Case 1: When your personal expenses are excluded
- If you do not reconcile with the bank register while you have excluded a transaction, the QuickBooks balance will show the difference.
- In contrast, you need to track personal expenses when you reconcile with bank registers. Further, add the user as a supplier and assign the transactions to an owner’s equity account.
Case 2: When duplicate transactions in QuickBooks are excluded, the balance will match. Thus, users can recycle with the statement.
You may also like: How to Track Customer Transaction Workflows in QuickBooks Desktop?
Hopefully, you should have understood why and how to duplicate transactions appear in QuickBooks. Once you figure it out, you can follow an approach to delete duplicate transactions. Nonetheless, if you get confused or stuck while following the process, get in touch with us on our toll-free number. Our QuickBooks support executive will help you throughout the process and connect you with QuickBooks professionals.