What is QuickBooks error 12031?
When QuickBooks customers try to upgrade the QuickBooks software or the QuickBooks payroll services, the QuickBooks error 12031 typically happens. This annoying and dangerous QuickBooks problem occurs when the network timeouts. This causes QB users to have difficulty using the program.
QuickBooks connectivity error 12031 usually occurs when the firewall and other system security applications are malfunctioning as a result of faulty or wrong settings.
What is QB Update Error 12031 shown on the screen?
The following is the error that appears on your screen as a result of ‘QuickBooks Update Error 12031.’
QuickBooks error message 12031: QuickBooks is unable to connect to the server due to a network timeout.
Causes of QuickBooks Payroll update error 12031
There are many reasons for QuickBooks Error code 12031, and it’s important to find out which one is affecting your QuickBooks to malfunction. The ’causes list’ provided below will help you choose which areas to investigate in order to resolve QuickBooks Payroll Error Code 12031.
- Issues with Internet Connectivity Network Timeout – QuickBooks is unable to connect to the server because of this.
- Updates are hampered by a firewall, anti-virus software, or Internet security.
- Problems with the default browser
- SSL settings are incorrect.
QuickBooks Error 12031 Symptoms
You are unable to update the QuickBooks or QuickBooks payroll service, which is one of the most common symptoms of QuickBooks error Code 12031. The problem message “network timeout” appears often, preventing QuickBooks from reaching the server.
Procedures to follow prior to implementing the solution
You will have to check for the below conditions before you start applying fixes
- Verify sure QuickBooks is operating on the most recent version.
- The operating system on the computer must be compatible and up to date.
- Your internet connection is up and running.
- Examine the software and hardware specifications that must be met.
- Make sure you back up your QuickBooks Company Files.
- Then go to the File menu item in your QuickBooks program.
- Additionally, choose the Backup Company option.
- Select an option. Make a local backup.
- When the backup box appears, choose Local Backup and then click the Next button.
- To find a place to store the backup file, click the Browse option.
- When you’re finished, click the OK button.
- After that, choose to save it immediately from the drop-down menu.
- Then press the Next button to begin the backup.
How to resolve the issue of QuickBooks error 12031?
The following is a list of possible solutions or fixes for ‘QuickBooks Desktop update error 12031.‘
Select Help from the drop-down menu. After that, choose Internet Connection Configuration. Select “Utilize my computer’s Internet connection configuration to create a connection when this program accesses the Internet” from the drop-down menu.
After that, click Next, and then Done. You should try the update once more:
If you’re using QuickBooks 2008 or later, go to Help, then Update QuickBooks, and then Update Now.
QuickBooks versions before 2006: Choose File, then Update QuickBooks. Finally, choose Update Now.
- The first step is to choose the Update Now option from the drop-down menu.
- After that, choose the Reset Update option and press the Get Updates button.
- If the software update still doesn’t work, try the following:
- Verify the procedures for the Troubleshooting software and payroll update problems to check your Internet connection.
- Verify for QuickBooks updates under the Configuring Internet security and personal firewall programs section. To set up your Internet security and personal firewall software, follow these steps.
- Restart Microsoft Windows in Safe Mode and try again to download. If the problem persists after completing the previous procedures.
To begin, go to your QuickBooks menu and choose “Internet Connection Setup.”
Then choose Internet properties from the drop-down menu. Following that, you’ll be able to examine the many tabs available on those Internet sites. You should pick the “Advanced” tab from the available options. After that, double-check that the advanced setting is correct.
Then you must press the “Apply” button. After that, press “OK,” and then dismiss this window.
Finally, you should exit QuickBooks and then reopen it to attempt the payroll update procedure again. This method may be effective in resolving the problem.
The first thing you need to do is shut QuickBooks. Select Internet Explorer from the drop-down menu. Choose the option of tools and then put a check on internet Options. Click on the Globe symbol on the Security tab. Make sure this zone’s security level is no greater than Medium-High. Go to the Content tab and make sure the Content Advisor option is set to Enable.
If the button reads Deactivate, click it and input the password to disable the content adviser.
Choose the Connections tab and proceed as follows:
When you don’t use the dial-up node (DUN) on the system, choose Never Dial a Connection. When you do use the dial-up node (DUN), see to it that the right ISP is selected.
Press the OK button. Press the LAN SETTINGS.
Once Ensure the Automatically detect settings option is selected. Make certain that the application a Proxy Server alternative is not selected. Use a proxy server and record the entire address and port if there is a tick. Use a proxy box; if the port is 80, uncheck the box on the LAN settings page. Select OK.
Moving onto advanced options
- Select the Advanced tab from the drop-down menu.
- Select Restore Advanced Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Under Settings, scroll down to see the Use TLS 1.0, Use TLS 1.1, and Use TLS 1.2 choices. (These choices may not be available in your Internet Explorer version.)
- Confirm that Use TLS 1.0 is enabled.
- Ensure that Use TLS 1.1 and Use TLS 1.2 aren’t enabled.
- Choose OK to end the Internet Options window.
- Reboot your pc after closing Internet Explorer.
- Open QuickBooks and attempt updating it again to see whether the problem is still there.
When QuickBooks has difficulties communicating to the internet server, QuickBooks error 12031 occurs. It may also cause issues with your QB online services, such as payroll tax tables and banking. Users may easily fix it if they follow proper methods. If the above-mentioned solutions for Error 12031 do not resolve the issue, you can always contact our QuickBooks Error Support specialist. They would troubleshoot QuickBooks error 12031 and resolve the issue.