Many people use QuickBooks on an everyday basis to carry out their accounting and bookkeeping jobs. This cloud-based accounting software is used by small to medium-scale businesses as well as large enterprises. If you are a long-time user of QuickBooks or have used it for quite some time, you must be familiar with the QuickBooks database server manager. It’s a great tool that QB users can use in various ways. However, there are also cases of the database server manager not running on the system. Users generally get the error message QBDBMGRN not running on this computer. The error means that the database server manager isn’t working. It also signals that the security firewall is interrupting QuickBooks to communicate with the internet servers.
What Does the QBDBMGRN Not Running on this Computer Error Imply?
Before going ahead and learning about what exactly results in this error and how to fix it, you must know what the cause behind this problem is. QBDBMGRN is an executable procedure on Windows. It has the .exe extension, and you can see it in your system’s task manager. It was launched to facilitate various users to access the database and company file on the hosting server, which has the company file.
When this error arises with the QuickBooks database server manager, users can only access the single-user mode. If they switch to multi-user mode, they will see an alert that displays QBDBMGRN is not running on this computer.
The Reasons for QBDBMGRN Not Running on This Computer Error
This QuickBooks error usually arises when you update the software to its latest release, but your Firewall isn’t updated. It implies that the Firewall obstructs seamless access to the internet. If you attempt to repair your company file through the QuickBooks File Doctor you will find the following error message on your screen.
“Repair the following network problems before accessing the company file from other computers on the network.” QBDBMGRN not running on this computer.
There are numerous factors that trigger this error message. The major ones are listed below.
- Faulty firewall configuration.
- Internet is creating issues.
- The third-party firewall software is obstructing access to QuickBooks.
- Faulty installation of QuickBooks database server manager.
- An error with the network file can also lead to this problem.
- Obsolete database server manager is also one of the leading reasons behind this error.
Problems That QBDBMGRN Not Running on This Computer Error Causes?
When a user is facing the QBDBMGRN error, they can also face many other problems. They are mentioned below.
- Problems in working in multi-user mode.
- Problems in using the QB company file.
- QuickBooks will be unable to access the internet because of the blockage by Firewall.
- The QBDBSM will not be able to update properly.
- The user will find it difficult to connect to the internet.
- QB database server update will get failed.
- QB database server manager will have no file that is connected.
- Improper installation of the database server manager.
- Problems with QB. ND file (Network file).
- Users frequently find their QuickBooks software running extremely slowly or freezing.
Ways to Fix the QBDBMGRN Not Running on This Computer Error
You can employ multiple resolutions to get rid of this error message on your computer. All of them are explained in a detailed manner below. But before implementing them, you must do some basic troubleshooting. It entails logging out of your QuickBooks account and then rebooting the system. When you do that, launch QuickBooks and then try logging in to your account. If you find it not working for you, read the procedures given below.
Steps to follow when QuickBooks is installed on the host system
Users whose QB software is installed on the host system should follow a specific sequence of steps to tackle the QBDBMGRN error. Choose the ‘Open or Restore’ option and then proceed with the points given below.
- Select ‘Open a company.’
- Click ‘Next.’
- Determine the company file.
- Now choose the ‘Open file in multi-user mode’ box. After that, tap on ‘Open.’
- When you are signed in to your company file, you must choose the file.
- Shut the company file in order to close it on the server.
Steps to follow when only QBDBMGRN is installed on the host system
Navigate to the Windows ‘Start’ tab and go to the Control Panel to proceed with this method. Now, follow these steps.
- Tap on ‘Admin Tools.’
- Double-tap on the option of ‘Services.’
- You then need to tap on the correct database server manager.
- After this, start your system again. Repeat these steps according to the setup.
Also Read- QuickBooks Error H303 | How to Resolve?
Repair your QuickBooks Desktop.
Repairing QuickBooks Desktop is another way o resolve the QBDBMGRN not running on this computer error. Follow these steps below for repairing it.
- Exit all the applications that are blocking the QB software and reboot your system.
- Back up your company file.
- Tap the ‘Start’ option, and on the search bar, type ‘control panel.’ Now, go to the Control Panel.
- After you open it, tap on the option of ‘Programs and Features.’
- Tap ‘Uninstall Program.’ if you cannot spot the option, choose ‘Programs,’ and then select ‘Program features.’
- Tap on ‘Program list’ followed by clicking on ‘Uninstall.’
- Then click ‘Continue,’ followed by clicking ‘Next.’
- Now, tap on the ‘Repair option.’ After that, click ‘Next.’ You need to wait for some time till the repair process finishes.
- Tap ‘Finish’ and reboot your system if you are prompted.
- Download the latest version of QuickBooks software.
Resolve the error reading ‘Files in use’ first
Some users also have ‘file in use’ as an error message. In such a case, you will have to follow the points given below.
- Firstly, choose the ‘Ignore’ option in the tab of ‘System Reboot.’
- After that, hit the ‘OK’ button.
- If you don’t find the ‘Ignore’ option on your screen, then tap the ‘OK’ tab.
- For ending the process, restart your system.
Note that before you execute the repair process, you need to make a backup of all crucial files
Run the Clean Install tool
You can also use the Clean Install tool for fixing QBDBMGRN not running on this computer error. The process to utilize the Clean Install tool for reinstalling QuickBooks is categorized into three individual steps. Follow the stepwise instructions under each step carefully.
Uninstall your QuickBooks software
- Firstly, hit the Windows + R keys on our keyboard.
- Enter ‘Control Panel.’ After that, tap ‘OK.’
- Hit ‘Programs and Features’ and then choose the option of ‘Uninstall.’
- Now choose ‘QuickBooks’, and after that, hit ‘Uninstall’ from the programs list that you see.
- After that, you’ll need to adhere to the instructions on your screen to complete the uninstallation process.
Run QuickBooks Clean Install tool
- This is the second stage of this process. Here you should download the recent version of the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool.
- Next, launch the qbdbmgrn.exe file. After that, execute the instructions that you see on your screen.
- Next, you need to select the QuickBooks desktop version, after which you can click ‘Continue.’
Modify the name of the QuickBooks desktop installation folders
- Now use the option of ‘Folder’ in the computer in order to reflect the hidden files.
- Modify the name of all the folders that are listed for your Windows version.
- Now you need to add ‘old’ or ‘damaged’ to the end part of the folder’s name. It will make it easy to differentiate the folders.
Sometimes, you can get an error message that says ‘Access Denied.’ If this happens, execute the steps given below.
- Select Windows taskbar.
- Below the ‘Processes’ tab, you must choose the image name column header in order to sort the processes alphabetically.
- Choose ‘QBDBMgr.exe, QBDBMgrN.exe, QBCFMonitorService.exe, Qbw32.exe.’ Then hit the ‘End’ tab.
- Also, remember to choose the ‘Yes’ tab for the warning message that you see.
- Lastly, reinstall QuickBooks Desktop.
Update your Firewall to resolve the error.
Your system’s Firewall can also make you encounter the QBDBMGRG error. You can update it to fix the problem. Follow these steps for it.
- Hit Windows + R keys.
- Input ‘control panel’ and tap the ‘OK’ button.
- Now, choose the option of ‘System and Security.’
- You’ll then need to use the cursor to go to the Windows Firewall and select the option of ‘Check for Updates.’
- Find out if your system requires updates. Then, tap on the ‘Update now’ tab and wait till the installation procedure completes.
- Reboot your computer system and see if the error has been resolved or not. If you face any issues, contact QuickBooks technical support services.
Start the QuickBooks database server manager service again.
You can also try to restart the database server manager service once and see if the error persists. Take note of the following steps for it.
- Press the Windows + R keys. Input ‘services.msc’ and tap ‘OK.’
- Go down in the list till you locate the ‘QuickBooks database server manager service.’
- Choose the file for the QuickBooks Desktop. Then, right-tap the file to launch the dropdown menu.
- Choose the option of ‘Reboot.’
- Open QuickBooks once more and check the backup.
Exclude the database server manager from the Firewall settings
You can also follow this method to resolve the error that’s troubling you. Follow these instructions to exclude the QB database server manager.
- Open the Run box on your computer. On it, type ‘Windows firewall.’ Follow it by clicking the ‘OK’ tab.
- Double-click the list of programs.
- Next, locate ‘Advanced settings.’ After that, right-tap on ‘Inbound rules’ and then select ‘New Rule’ from the dropdown.
- Progressing forward, click the ‘Next’ option. Its presented under the ‘Programs.’ After this, choose the option of ‘Program path.’
- Follow this step by excluding the ‘QBDBMGRN.exe file.’ You can find this file in the QB folder.
- Choose the location of this file and click ‘Next.’
- Now you have to select the option of ‘Allow the connection.’ After that, press ‘Continue’ followed by ‘Next.’
- Click ‘Allow the connection.’ Follow it by hitting ‘Next.’
- Now you will need to name the rule and then click the option of ‘Finish.’
- The next step is to reboot your computer system. Resume your work with your QBW company file.
Reboot your system
Rebooting the system is also one of the effective ways to troubleshoot this error. The process to reboot is quite simple. Just follow the sequence of instructions given below.
- Log off your QuickBooks account.
- Next, exit the QuickBooks desktop.
- After this, shut down your QuickBooks account.
- Now restart the system.
- Lastly, launch QuickBooks and try logging in to your account. You will not find this problem.
Download and use the QuickBooks File Doctor tool
It’s a manual step you can take to resolve the QBDBMGRN not running on this computer error. You have to download the QuickBooks File Doctor tool and install it on your system. If the hosting mode is turned off, turn it on as the File Doctor tool cannot open the company file. Follow these steps.
- Tap the ‘Company file issues’ tab.
- Next, run the File Doctor tool.
- Go ahead and choose the company file with which you are having a problem from the dropdown menu.
- From the given options, choose ‘Check your file.’ Follow it by hitting ‘Continue.’
- Proceeding forward, input your QuickBooks Desktop admin ID and password. After that, click ‘Next.’
- It won’t take too long for the QB File Doctor to scan the company file and network problems. But it also depends on your company file size.
- After the scan draws to an end, open your files again. Then repeat the same procedure on every user’s workstation on which the QBDBMGRN not working error is coming.
READ ALSO- How to Fix QuickBooks Error 404 during Update?
Hopefully, this long guide will help you fix the QBDBMGRN not running on this computer problem. Follow the numerous techniques one by one and get rid of this problem. But if you still find this error message, it may be time to get expert QuickBooks customer service help. The service professionals are always available, and you can contact them anytime.