As we all know that QB is one of the famous accounting software for small business use. The error code 6147 in QuickBooks arise when we attempt to open a company file or a backup file that is corrupted or not located properly. When you get QuickBooks error 6147 0 a warning message pops up saying “This is not a QuickBooks data file or there is a problem with the data file”.
The error 6147 it belongs to the error series- 6000. So, before you proceed to see the troubleshooting steps for it, you need to see its major causes. Hence, there are few reasons because of which this error may come in your QuickBooks.
Causes for QuickBooks Error 6147
- We have listed a few causes below, have a glance over it:
- While restoring a backup file from an external drive or network
- Corrupted or damaged .ND or.TLG extensions
- If the QBW file is damaged
- The error also occurs when you give incorrect information to the QuickBooks company file.
- If the QuickBooks file is opened by a mapped drive that might have got deleted by chance. And it doesn’t exist anymore.
Symptoms of Error 6147 in QuickBooks:
Have you noticed the below symptoms in your QuickBooks?
- When getting an error in QuickBooks, you will notice that you’re unable to get into your company file.
- You are not able to restore the backup file.
How to Fix 6147 Error in QuickBooks?
Now you are completely aware of causes and what symptoms you are going to see when having such error. So, let us proceed towards the possible solutions that you can try to rectify the error.
Solution 1: Download and Install QuickBooks Doctor
Download the QB Doctor and install it by following the on-screen instruction. The software will help you in searching for the possible reason that is causing this error. When the downloading process is completed, Run the tool after installing it. Remember not to interrupt while downloading.
Solution 2: Make a back-file at a different location
- Make sure that you have not done hosting of the system
- In QuickBooks, click on the File menu and then click on Utilities.
- If you find Stop Hosting Multiple-User option there then follow the steps:-
- Stop the access of Hosting Multiple-User
- Click Yes in the window and wait for a few minutes until the next window appears
- Click on the Yes again with the company file closed.
- Now you can restore the backup file present on the system.
You need to take one more step that is- confirm that the company file name is not more than 210 characters.
Solution 3: Use Trend Micro Scan
- Find your company’s file location, first
- Then press Ctrl and double click on the QuickBooks Followed by opening it without disturbing the company’s file.
- The company’s file must be on top. Therefore, choose the company file from the list.
- The company file list that you will open would display the location of the file.
- Now open the scan settings in Trend Micro active scan.
- Next, you have to carefully choose the folder and add it to exception.
Solution 4: Repair .ND and .TLG file
You need to rename the .ND and .TLG files. These files are configured files of QuickBooks that allow users to run the company file easily in a network or a multi-user mode.
- Follow the below steps to rename the file:
- Open the folder that includes these company files
- Locate the .ND and .TLG file in the list
- Now select the file to right-click on it and rename it to .ND old and .TLG file old.
Solution 5: Rename the .ADR file
- Next, you need to rename the ADR file as a QB working file.
- By renaming the .ADR file will solve the QuickBooks Error 6147. Follow the below steps to complete renaming the file:
- Open the folder which includes QuickBooks company files
- Now search for.ADR file
- Open the folder and search recent .ADR file
- Select that file and right-click on it.
- In the drop-down menu select Rename.
- Now rename it to .qbw
After following the above-mentioned steps, the QuickBooks error 6147 will get solved. However, if it doesn’t get solved or you stuck somewhere while following the steps contact the experts immediately. You can reach them through QuickBooks Support Number and connect with trained technical experts to fix the issue.