QuickBooks accounting software is a boon for many businesses. However, QB also undergoes various issues that may trouble you while working with this accounting software. QuickBooks payroll error 20102 notifies that you have an active direct deposit on a duplicate Employer Identification Number (EIN) while you are again trying to link to the EIN, which is connected to the different account.
The QuickBooks error 20102 statement reads: QB has encountered a problem and needs to close immediately. We are sorry for the convenience.
After the error appears, either your QuickBooks will crash or frozen, or you will need to close it for further action. Below you will get all the possible causes of this error, its effects, and the solution to eliminate this error. Let’s start with the basics.
What is QuickBooks Payroll Error 20102?
The QB error 20102 occurs while trying to sign up for the direct deposit on the EIN, which is associated with the previous payroll provider’s account. At the same time, you already have an active direct deposit on a duplicate EIN of a different account of your current payroll service provider.
The QB payroll error 20102 alert notification can appear during Windows startup or shutdown, program installation while QuickBooks is running or while installing the Windows operating system.
Sometimes there might be a delay in displaying the error message, but your software and computer will start indicating it through the following symptoms.
- Your Windows will crash while running the program.
- The error will make your system run sluggish, and the peripherals such as a mouse, keyboard input will respond slowly to the command.
- Your computer or laptop, which is loaded with QuickBooks desktop, will hang often.
- The active program will start to crash frequently.
- The other applications will respond slow, making it difficult for you to operate your system.
- The user can also face the loss of credentials and other saved data from the QuickBooks application.
Why QuickBooks error 20102 occurs?
In order to run your QB desktop smoothly, you need to know the exact causes of QuickBooks payroll error 20102. After that, you can work on particular issues and exterminate them from the root. The following are some of the significant reasons for error code 20102.
Reason 1: Corrupted Windows Registry
Missing or damaged Windows registry is possibly the primary reason which causes a payroll error. There might be a chance that you have received corrupt registry files while changing or updating the QuickBooks software.
Reason 2: Incomplete Installation
While installing the QuickBooks software, you will need to follow all the instructions. Otherwise, you might receive an incomplete installation, which later on will create trouble while launching the software or raise an issue such as QuickBooks payroll error 20102.
Reason 3: Virus or Malware attack
vMany times the malware or viruses plays a substantial role in affecting the QuickBooks application and files. Sometimes mistakenly, your antivirus detects the QB application as a threat to your system. You can try to access your QB files after turning off the antivirus firewall temporarily.
How to fix QuickBooks error 20102?
To fix this error, you will need to work on all the causes. However, there are multiple ways to exterminate this error. We have researched and listed them below.
Method 1: Repairing the registry entries
Repairing the registries will need an experienced PC user who is familiar with the functionalities of a computer. You can also contact QuickBooks support number; our expert will help to fix the registry entries. Now let’s start to repair.
- Turn on your computer.
- Now type commandon your computer’s search
- Further, you will need to select Command Promptfrom the search result.
- Alternatively, you can press Ctrl + Shift + Enteron your keyboard.
- Now click Yeson the permission dialogue box.
- A command prompt black box will open, with a blinking cursor.
- Now type Regedithere and then hit Enter.
- The Registry editor box will open.
- Here, look for and select all the keys related to QuickBooks Payroll Error 20102 and back up these folders.
- Now click the Filetab and select Export.
- Further, select the folder where you want to save in your files.
- Type the file nameunder the desired field.
- Make sure to choose the Selected Branch in the Export Rangebox and click Save.
- Now go to the selected location, you will see your QB backup file with .regextension name.
- After that, you can manually edit and repair the registry files.
Method 2: Uninstall and Reinstall the QB program
After creating the backup, you can uninstall the QB program files from Add/Remove program on your computer and then reinstalling the full program from QuickBooks website or CD.
- On your computer search for Add or Remove Programs.
- Now on a new window, select the QuickBooks application.
- Click Uninstall.
- Now visit the QuickBooks website and install the updated version.
- Alternatively, you can use the CD to install the full version of QuickBooks.
- Follow all the installation instructions and launch the QuickBooks application.
- Now check if the QuickBooks Payroll Error 20102is resolved! If not, then proceed to the next step.
Method 3: Install and run QuickBooks file doctor
If the above steps did not work well, then you will need to run the QuickBooks file doctor, which comes under the QuickBooks Tool hub.
- Make sure to download the latest version of the QuickBooks tool hub.
- Now, double-click and open the tool hub icon.
- Click on the Company file issue
- Now select Run QuickBooks file doctor, and then choose the company file from the drop-down menu.
- Chose the Check your file optionand click Continue.
- To proceed further, you will need to enter your QB admin passwordand then hit Enter.
All these three steps will help you quickly eliminate the QuickBooks payroll error 20102. Most of the time, the issue arises due to corrupted or missing registry files or improper installation of QuickBooks application.
Hopefully, you can fix the issue after following the above measures; firstly, you need to back up the registry files because there could be a risk of file removal. After that, you can manually edit and fix the registry files. Further steps include reinstalling the QuickBooks software from the QB website; additionally, you can use the clean install tool.
The final measure is to install and run the QuickBooks file doctor. If, at any point in time, you feel uncomfortable fixing the payroll error, you can consider contacting our QuickBooks Support Number; our QB experts will take care of any issue in this application.